Monday, May 6, 2013

Re-purposing Cupcakes

When I made a batch of cupcakes recently, the batter bubbled over the tops, making an unattractive mess. I couldn't serve these cupcakes at the event they were planned for, but other than the tops, they were fine. I couldn't imagine just throwing them all away. Or maybe you have a batch that came out just a little overdone. If they are totally burnt, you've got to throw them out. But what can you do with a bunch of cupcakes that are fine except that you have to cut off the tops (or bottoms)? I decided to try a few things out and blog about it. Here is what I came up with:


 
Dolly's Birthday Cake:
Cut the top off the cupcake and cut it in half horizontally 
Spread jam or Nutella between the layers and on top
 Add sprinkles on top

 
 
 Fruit-and-Cake Parfait:
Cut the cupcakes into cubes (think crouton-sized)
Get a pretty glass to show the layers
Layer the Cake cubes with Fruit and Yogurt or whipped cream



Individual Strawberry Shortcakes:
Cut the tops off the cupcakes (you will use 2-3 Cupcakes for this). Cut up some fresh strawberries, place them in a bowl with a little sugar. Let this mixture sit for 20+ minutes, stirring and lightly "mashing" them occasionally. This will make a syrup. Make some fresh whipped cream (if making with kids, feel free to use the fun canned kind). Place one cupcake on a plate, top with strawberries and syrup, add some whipped cream, then repeat this process for 2-3 layers as desired. Serve immediately.



 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I don't like it when things don't come out the way I want them to. But I do enjoy recycling! I'm lazy so I usually make cake pops. I need a new trick hehe. Your doll cakes are super cute. My almost 3 year old likes little cute things. I'll have to make those some day when we need a little pick-me-up. Thanks for the fun ideas. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comments! I will add cake pops/cake bon bons to the list!

      Delete