Monday, March 11, 2013

St. Patrick's Day


This weekend is St. Patrick's Day, and in the Boston area you can bet it is a party! My area is more than 30% Irish, but the Irish-Americans celebrate even more than the real Irish do. Everybody whips out their favorite Shepherd's Pie recipes and compares the virtues of the different types of corned beef (Corned beef and cabbage, aka "New England Boiled Dinner" is another Irish American thing apparently. My Irish friends tell me that they have Irish Bacon instead of Corned Beef.)

Anyway, this blog is supposed to be about Baking, so I shouldn't go off on too much of a tangent here. I have two great baked items for St. Patrick's Day, one is a real old-time Irish recipe and the other is an American homage to Guinness, that deliciously dark brew. So here are the links if you want to get your Irish on:

Guinness Cake

Granny Mahoney's Irish Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment